A 27-year-old woman who was a finalist on "America's Next Top Model" was ordered Tuesday to stand trial on charges in four criminal cases in Riverside County, including a break-in at a Palm Springs residence.
A judge ruled there was enough evidence for Palm Springs resident Renee Diane Alway to stand trial following a preliminary hearing Oct. 8 at Indio's Larson Justice Center, according to the Riverside County District Attorney's Office.
Alway finished in the top three of Cycle 8 of "America's Next Top Model," which aired in 2007 on The CW.
Renee was born and raised in northern Michigan, where her father was a pastor and police officer. She revealed in the first episode of Modelville on October 8, 2008 that her father was physically and mentally abusive, and that her, her siblings, and her mother Sandra, were afraid to leave due to her father’s respected position in the community as well as his mental instability.
Alway remained in custody Tuesday night in lieu of $150,000 bail, according to inmate records. She is due back in court on Oct. 21.
Alway was arrested June 28, after someone reported a "suspicious female" in the area and arriving officers found an open back door at a residence in the 600 block of Violeta Drive.
Police found Alway hiding in the garage on Violeta, Palm Springs police Sgt. Harvey Reed said in a statement.
"Officers were informed that the residents were out of the country and that the property should be vacant," Reed said.
Reed said officers previously thought an armed man was inside the residence, and Palm Springs and Cathedral City police sent SWAT officers. Later that night, after the residence was searched, authorities concluded no one else was inside, Reed said.
Alway is charged in four criminal cases - three filed in July and one in June - with felony and misdemeanor charges that include burglary, intent to defraud, receiving stolen property, possession of a controlled substance, grand theft, possession of drug paraphernalia and being under the influence of a controlled substance, according to court records.
District Attorney's Office Public Information Officer John Hall said two misdemeanor petty theft counts were dismissed in the June case.