As the 2013 Redlands Bicycle Classic rolls into town, so, too, will a series of local road closures.
The Beaumont stage of the event, slated for Friday, April 5, will cause a total of eight hard road closures, and more than a dozen intermittent closures, city officials announced Monday.
The road closures are:
- 6th Street - between Palm Avenue and Beaumont Avenue
- Beaumont Avenue (northbound) - between 6th Street and 7th Street
- Oak Valley Parkway - between Desert Lawn Drive and Palmer Avenue
- Highland Springs Avenue - between Cherry Valley Boulevard and 8th Street
- Oak Valley Parkway - between Highland Springs Avenue and Starlight Avenue
- Palm Avenue (southbound) - between Oak Valley Parkway and 6th Street
- Orange Avenue - between 6th Street and 8th Street
- Magnolia Avenue - between 6th Street and 8th Street
Intermittent Closures will be held along:
- Beaumont Avenue • Oak Valley Parkway • Palmer Avenue • Cherry Valley Boulevard • Champions Lane • Desert Lawn Drive • Brookside Avenue • Nancy Avenue • Orchard Street • Avenida San Timoteo • AvenidaAltura Bella • Winesap Avenue • High Street • Bellflower Avenue
The above listed 'intermittent' closures mean roads will close while racers pass, and then be reopened.
Stage 2 of the Redlands Bicycle Classic, part of USA Cycling's national racing calendar, will be held in Beaumont and includes separate stage races for men and women, and a circuit race for paracyclists. The start and finish will be at Beaumont Civic Center, 550 E. Sixth Street.
The April 5 event features three separate races through Beaumont and Cherry Valley:
- PossAbilities paracycling race for disabled athletes, scheduled start 8 a.m.
- Men's race, scheduled start 9:30 a.m., consists of 5 laps, 119.5 miles.
- Women's race, scheduled start 9:45 a.m., consists of 3 laps, 71.7 miles.
The Redlands Bicycle Classic, started in 1985, is a four-stage race, starting April 4 with time trials in Big Bear. The other two stage races will be held April 6 and 7 in Redlands.
Earlier this month, the city put out an announcement seeking volunteer race marshalls for the event.