The families of two law enforcement officers who lost their lives while recently shot in the line of duty have each received $10,000 from the Morongo Band of Mission Indians, tribe officials tell Patch.
Riverside Police Officer Michael Crain and San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Detective Jeremiah MacKay were both fatally shot by quadruple murder suspect Christopher Dorner, according to police.
“We are heartbroken for the families of Officer Crain and Detective MacKay. These brave men gave their lives to protect and serve our communities and we should never forget their heroic sacrifice and the devastating loss that their families are suffering,” said Tribal Chairman Robert Martin of the Morongo Band of Mission Indians. “The Crain and MacKay families will remain in our thoughts and prayers.”
The money has already been issued to the memorial funds for the families, a tribe spokesman told Patch Wednesday.
Officer Crain was the first law enforcement officer to lose his life as the drama unfolded into a massive manhunt across Southern California for suspect Chris Dorner, a fired LAPD officer who ultimately wound up in the Big Bear area where he died following a gun fight with more law enforcement, police have said.
MacKay died after being hit by that gunfire, outside a cabin in Seven Oaks.
The 34-year-old Crain had been with RPD for eleven years and lived in Beaumont with his wife and two children. He was laid to rest on Feb. 13, after a ceremony attended by thousands in Riverside.
MacKay, who worked in Big Bear and Yucaipa, was a 15-year veteran with the department, Sheriff John McMahon said. He was father of a 7-year-old daughter and a 4-month-old son. He was a resident of Redlands.
His funeral is planned at 11 a.m. Thursday Feb. 21 at the San Manuel Amphitheatre, 2575 Glen Helen Parkway.
- UPDATE: Slain Detective 'Wanted to Intervene When Others Were Being Hurt'
- DORNER REWARD: 'Due to High Volume of Calls' LAPD Issues Statement
- Dorner Death Scene: SWAT Captain Details Fugitive Ex-Cop's Final Hours
- Candlelight Vigil for Sheriff's Detective Slain in Final Confrontation with Dorner
- Funeral for Sheriff's Detective Jeremiah MacKay: Date and Time Announced
- REDLANDS MOURNS: Slain Detective is Second Local Victim Tied to Dorner
- DORNER'S LAST STAND: Fugitive Kept Trying to Shoot More Deputies at Cabin
- DORNER INVESTIGATION: Gunshot Wound to Head Appears Self-Inflicted
- DORNER IS DEAD: Confirmed ID of Charred Remains Made in Autopsy
- VIDEO: Thousands Mourn Loss of Slain Riverside Police Officer Michael Crain
- MANHUNT SHOOTOUT: Angelus Oaks Family Recalls Massive Response on 38
- DORNER MANHUNT: Mountain Search for Alleged Cop-Killer to Go Thru Night
- Murder Charges Filed Against Chris Dorner in Redlands High Grad's Death
- Funeral Service Information for Slain Riverside Police Officer Mike Crain
- $1 Million Reward Offered For Dorner's Capture
- LAPD Chief Beck's Full Statement on Reviewing Dorner's Termination Case
- DORNER MANHUNT: Armed Deputies Vigilant on Snowbound Mountain Roads
- DORNER MANIFESTO: Rogue Officer Posted His Plan for 'Last Resort' Online